Location: Broomfield, CO 80020
Electrical Engineer II/III
Altius Space Machines, a world leader in the development of technologies and systems for in-space servicing, assembly, and lunar missions, is looking for a highly qualified electrical engineer to join our team. Altius offers a dynamic start-up type environment, backed by over 10 years of heritage technology and expertise. Altius’ patented Electro-Permanent Magnet (EPM) technology is a key discriminator in many of our products.
We are seeking a highly motivated self-starter to join our diverse team of experts in developing groundbreaking technologies and systems. The ideal candidate is a can-do problem solver who will integrate quickly into an agile, high-performing team, one who scales readily across a range of programmatic roles, from defining system requirements to detailed PCB design to building electrical system prototypes. Key success factors for this role include the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and readily adapt to evolving program objectives. This team member will be a key contributor to core technology development and production programs at Altius.
Altius is an expanding business that affords leadership opportunities to individuals who drive continued company growth and team accomplishment.
- Design, develop, and test electrical PCB assemblies and components for space applications and harsh space environments.
- Lead the development of electrical systems, taking full ownership and leveraging other team member capabilities to drive program execution from initial concept to prototype to production.
- Collaborate with our multidisciplinary team, including mechanical, software, and systems engineers, to define requirements, formulate program plans, and develop product roadmap strategy.
- Create and maintain electrical schematics, wiring diagrams, and PCB layouts.
- Develop and implement testing procedures to verify and validate electrical designs.
- Provide technical support for manufacturing and assembly processes of electromechanical systems.
- Contribute to FMEA, risk analysis and mitigation, and usability risk assessment
- Document design activities and test results; effectively communicate these to other team members and company management.
- Build and troubleshoot prototypes and customer deliverables and associated subsystems, such as wiring harnesses, and magnet and PCB assemblies.
- Contribute to the continuous growth of team capabilities and core competencies.
- A Bachelor of Science in Electrical or Computer Engineering, Physics or related discipline (this requirement could be waived for a sufficiently experienced candidate).
- 4 or more years experience developing complex circuit boards for commercial, medical, scientific, or aerospace electronic products.
- Demonstrated experience managing prototype development and overseeing projects from conception to production.
- Experience with analog, digital, and mixed-signal circuit analysis, simulation, design, test, troubleshooting, power switching, grounding diagrams, and general board layout principles.
- Desire to work hands-on, both independently and as part of a team, throughout the development and production phases of the electronic assembly product life cycle.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Technical lead with a proven track record of taking ownership and accountability for completion of critical tasks, and a thorough understanding of the project management lifecycle.
- Experience in design, development, test, and operation of spacecraft electronics.
- Experience with electronic system design using Altium or equivalent.
- Experience with inventory and BOM management.
- Radiation tolerant/hardened and high-reliability electronics design experience.
- Understanding of design for harsh environments and associated qualification testing, including experience with standards such as MIL-STD-810, MIL-STD-461G, or equivalent.
- Knowledge of device characteristics relevant to power electronics, such as MOSFETs, GaNFETs, IGBTs, IGCTs, BJTs, JFETs, diodes, various capacitor families, etc.
- Knowledge of interactions between mechanical, electrical, and magnetic systems.
- Experience with Firmware development, Magnetics and magnetic field simulations, EMI/EMC design and testing.
Compensation and Benefits
Altius offers salaries competitive to current market rates that align with a candidate’s skills and experience and for this position the range is $120,000 to $170,000. Benefits that come with this position include medical, dental, and vision benefits for both the candidate and dependents, a 401k plan, and an unlimited paid-time-off policy.
Altius does not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If this sounds like the job for you, please send your resume, and if possible, a portfolio of some of your past work to firstname.lastname@example.org with Electrical Engineer II/III in the subject line.