Electrical Engineer – Intern
Altius a subsidiary of Voyager Space and our vision is to enable a future where thousands of people live and work in space, tapping the resources of our solar system for the benefit of humanity. As part of the effort to make that vision become reality, Altius is currently developing modular in-space servicing & manufacturing interfaces for spacecraft including compliant/non-compliant grapple fixtures. Docking, and refueling systems, dust tolerant tool changers for planetary and harsh environment robotics, and satellite life extension technologies.
Altius’s electro permanent magnet (EPM) technology is a key ingredient used across the product line. EPMs use high-power pulsed electronics to reprogram permanent magnet arrays, creating a solid-state switchable magnet that combines the no-power hold capabilities of permanent magnet arrays with the rapid control of electromagnet-based systems.
We are continuously seeking talented and dynamic individuals to join our team and help us reach our vision.
Collaborate with an interdisciplinary team including senior electrical, firmware, mechanical, and materials engineers to prototype, test, and assemble high-voltage EPM control electronics, wireless power & data transmission systems, and harnesses.
- Assist with requirements definition, design analysis, test, verification and prototyping of complex board-level analog and digital circuitry for spaceflight applications.
- Hands-on subcomponent level assembly and debug of electronics involving micro-soldering skills in conjunction with lab equipment including, but not limited to, oscilloscopes, high-voltage differential probes, current probes, HI-POT testers, and spectrum analyzers.
- Test high-voltage and high-current pulsed power electronics and drive circuitry.
- Environmental testing including thermal, shock, vibration, vacuum, and lunar dust.
- Assist with board-level electronics design, verification and development activities; including schematic capture, layout, design review and release to production.
- Build-up and maintain component inventory and schematic/footprint libraries in Altium Designer.
- Own circuit board component kitting process for test and customer deliverable hardware fabrication utilizing auto generated BOMs and inventory management software.
- Participate with the modification and implementation of team standards, processes and plans including design reviews and other requirements related to the design effort.
- A student or recent graduate in Electrical or Computer Engineering, Physics or related disciplines. Sufficient experience without a directly relevant education may waive this requirement.
- Knowledge of circuit analysis, design techniques, and simulation software.
- Direct experience with power electronics or related coursework.
- Ability to work hands-on, both independently and as part of a team, throughout the development and production phases of the electronic assembly product life cycle
- Experience with oscilloscopes, power supplies and other diagnostic tools.
- Ability to design and test following procedures or requirements.
- Must be a U.S. citizen.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Experience in design, development, test and operation of spacecraft electronics.
- Experience with rigid, flex, and rigid-flex PCB design and assembly.
- Radiation tolerant/hardened and high reliability electronics design experience.
- Experience with magnetic circuit design, preferably Ansys Maxwell or Electronics Desktop.
- Understanding or Experience in design for harsh environments and associated qualification testing, including experience with standards such as MIL-STD-810, RTCA/DO-160, or equivalents.
- Knowledge of device characteristics relevant to power electronics, such as: MOSFETs, GaNFETs, IGBTs, BJTs, JFETs, diodes, various capacitor families, etc.
- Highly motivated self-starter that can own tasks through completion and knows how to leverage team members for support when needed.
Compensation and Benefits
Altius anticipates a salary that is very competitive to market pay rates, depending strongly on the candidate’s skills and experience. Benefits that come with this position include medical, dental, and vision benefits for both the candidate and dependents, 401k plan with and an unlimited paid-time-off policy.
Altius does not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.