Chief Engineer - Bulldog Servicing Vehicle
Broomfield, CO 80020
Help Us Change the World
As a member of the Voyager Space Holdings family, Altius is creating the space machines that will help keep Earth orbit safe even as thousands of new satellites bring broadband connectivity to the world, help build and sustain space infrastructure bigger and more capable than has ever been done before, and help us explore and expand humanity’s economic sphere out into our solar system. Your mission is to lead the development of our family of Bulldog robotic servicing tugs that will provide logistics support to this new generation of human and robotic space capabilities.
Your Role as Bulldog Chief Engineer
For this position, we are seeking both an experienced technologist and program manager, who will be the key decision maker for technical and programmatic decisions for Bulldog. You will report directly to the company management team. Your role will include refining and finalizing the Bulldog vehicle design, developing and maintaining the schedule and budget for the development effort, helping the business team perform make/buy decisions on key spacecraft subsystems and ground support infrastructure, helping establish strong working relationships with key vendors and partners, directing necessary R&D projects, and leading the technical development, assembly, integration, testing, and ultimately commissioning of these vehicles and their associated infrastructure. In addition to these engineering tasks, you will also support recruiting the technical talent, developing the processes, and building-up the facilities and capabilities needed to bring Bulldog to fruition. You and your team will also support the business development team by working with customers to identify technical needs and solutions, and helping the business development team as they prepare proposals for government and commercial opportunities that can accelerate bringing Bulldog to market.
The Kind of Person We Are Looking For
But enough about the role, let’s talk about you and some of the key attributes we’re looking for in a candidate for this role. For this position we are looking for someone who:
- Is comfortable with ambiguity and has the ability to navigate uncertainty when necessary
- Is creative and a problem solver, who has a knack for taking under-defined problems and working their way through them methodically.
- Has a knack for communicating ideas, and enjoys both explaining technical things to non-technical people, and is a good listener, who knows how to get people to talk.
- Loves space technology and is passionate about the development of space.
- Enjoys learning new things and new skills, both inside and outside of work.
- Knows how to find people with the right experience to help find answers to questions that you yourself don’t know the answer to.
- Enjoys mentoring new engineers and helping them unlock their true potential.
Skills That Should Be in Your Toolbox
In addition to those personal attributes, we’re looking for someone who has developed a broad spacecraft design and systems engineering toolbox, and who is looking for an opportunity to use those skills more fully. We’re looking for someone who:
- Has experience with the technical and program management aspects of taking spacecraft through the process from design to operations.
- Has a broad background in all the major subsystems of a typical spacecraft and its associated ground support infrastructure, and has the ability to quickly learn about skills that are beyond your previous experience base.
- Has experience performing technical trades at the right level of rigor for the situation.
- Has experience with helping build and execute budgets and project plans for significant spaceflight hardware projects greater than $10M.
- Has strong written and verbal communication skills, including experience preparing for and participating in engineering design and program gate reviews.
- Has experience with identifying and hiring for spacecraft engineering positions
Some Bonus Skills
In addition to those required systems engineering and program management skills, the following skills while not required would be very helpful for this role:
- Experience with orbital dynamics and spacecraft mission analysis and design
- Experience with spacecraft electric propulsion systems
- Experience with rendezvous and proximity operations hardware and/or GN&C
- Experience with commercial and/or government proposal writing
- Experience with aerospace supply chain management
- Comfort with public speaking and networking
If you have other skills that you think would be relevant to a growing space startup, make sure to highlight them for us.
Other Things to Know
- At Altius, we have a comprehensive compensation package that includes a combination of salary, bonus, stock options, 401k, and medical, dental and vision benefits for you and your family.
- Altius offers flexible work hours – sometimes it’s all hands on-deck, but when it isn’t, we try to give people extra flexibility. We want work to be fun and exciting, but don’t want it to be the only thing you have time for in your life.
- Our Terrestrial HQ is in Broomfield, CO, close to the beautiful Rocky Mountains, and within a reasonable drive of both Boulder and downtown Denver, within walking or biking distance of parks and walking paths.
If you think this role would be a good fit for you, and you like a challenge, then send us your resume at firstname.lastname@example.org, with Bulldog Chief Engineer in your subject line. We plan to start phone interviews the week of April 6th.