Electrical Engineer I
Broomfield, CO 80020
Altius a subsidiary of Voyager Space and our vision is to enable a future where thousands of people live and work in space, tapping the resources of our solar system for the benefit of humanity. As part of the effort to make that vision become reality, Altius is currently developing modular interfaces for satellite servicing, dust tolerant tool changers for planetary and harsh environment robotics and docking and refueling systems for space tugs and human lunar landers.
And a key ingredient in all these systems is Altius's electro permanent magnet (EPM) technology, which uses high-power pulsed electromagnets to reprogram permanent magnet arrays, creating a solid-state switchable magnet that combines the no-power hold capabilities of permanent magnet Halbach arrays with the rapid control of electromagnetic systems.
We are continuously seeking talented and dynamic individuals to join our team and help us reach our vision.
Applies electrical engineering and works with high-power pulsed electromagnets to reprogram permanent magnet arrays. This includes definition and planning of the design/development effort, coordination, integration and verification of subordinate work and detailed engineering at all project levels.
- Requirements definition, design, analysis, development, test, verification, and production release of complex board-level analog and digital circuitry for spaceflight applications.
- Hands-on subcomponent level assembly and debug during development phases, which involve soldering, also utilizing a probe during process.
- Board-level electronics design, verification, and development activities; including schematic capture, layout, design review and release to production.
- Design electronics to meet EMI/EMC qualification and radiation tolerance requirements.
- Executes planned tasks on projects including detail design tasks, technical evaluation of subcontractor or vendor hardware, reporting budget and schedule performance on assigned tasks and stats using Engineering Management and cognizant design engineers.
- Support team leads with the modification and implementation of team standards, processes and plans including the preparation of proposals, change requests, design reviews and other requirements related to the design effort.
- A Bachelor of Science in Electrical or Computer Engineering, Physics or related disciplines is strongly desired, but this requirement can be waived for sufficiently experienced candidates.
- At least 1-2 years of experience developing complex circuit boards, for advanced commercial, medical, scientific, or aerospace electronic products.
- At least 1-2 years of experience designing PCBs, and performing virtual prototyping, using EDA software (Altium experience is strongly preferred).
- Experience with analog, digital, and mixed-signal circuit analysis, simulation, design, test, troubleshooting, signal integrity, power, and grounding and general board layout principles.
- Ability to work hands-on, both independently and as part of a team, throughout the development and production phases of the electronic assembly product life cycle.
- Experience with oscilloscopes, power supplies and other diagnostic tools.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Experience in design, development, test, and operation of spacecraft electronics.
- Experience with rigid, flex, and rigid-flex PCB design and assembly.
- Radiation tolerant/hardened and high reliability electronics design experience.
- Experience with mechanical design using CAD software (SolidWorks preferred).
- Understanding or Experience with design for EMI/EMC and associated qualification testing, including experience with relevant standards such as MIL-STD-461, MIL-STD-464 or equivalents.
- Understanding or Experience in design for harsh environments and associated qualification testing, including experience with standards such as MIL-STD-810, RTCA/DO-160, or equivalents.
- Knowledge of device characteristics relevant to power electronics, such as: MOSFETs, GaNFETs, IGBTs, IGCTs, BJTs, JFETs, diodes, various capacitor families, etc.
Compensation and Benefits
Altius anticipates a salary that is very competitive to market pay rates, depending strongly on the candidate’s skills and experience. Benefits that come with this position include medical, dental, and vision benefits for both the candidate and dependents, 401k and an unlimited paid-time-off policy.
Altius does not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If this sounds like the job for you, please send your resume, and if possible, a portfolio of some of your past work to email@example.com with Electrical Engineer I in the subject line.