Electrical Engineer III
Broomfield, CO 80020
At Altius, our vision is to enable a future where thousands of people live and work in space, tapping the resources of our solar system for the benefit of humanity. As part of the effort to make that vision become reality, Altius is currently developing modular interfaces for satellite servicing, dust tolerant tool changers for planetary and harsh environment robotics, and docking and refueling systems for space tugs and human lunar landers.
A key ingredient in all of these systems is Altius's electropermanent magnet (EPM) technology, which uses high-power pulsed electromagnets to reprogram permanent magnet arrays, creating a solid-state switchable magnet that combines the no-power hold capabilities of permanent magnet halbach arrays with the rapid control of electromagnetic systems. To support a growing number of EPM projects, Altius is expanding its EPM development team, and is seeking experienced electrical engineers to work in a fast-paced team environment on R&D, prototyping, and production of cutting edge EPM-enabled space systems.
- Requirements definition, design, analysis, development, test, debug, verification and production release of complex board-level analog and digital circuitry for spaceflight applications.
- Board-level electronics design, verification and development activities; including schematic capture, layout, design review and release to production
- Design electronics to meet EMI/EMC qualification and radiation tolerance requirements
- Mentor and coach other avionics engineers within the team
- Support team leads with the modification and implementation of team standards, processes and plans
- A Bachelor of Science in Electrical or Computer Engineering, Physics or related disciplines is strongly desired, but this requirement can be waived for sufficiently experienced candidates.
- At least 10 years of experience developing complex circuit boards, for advanced commercial, medical, scientific, or aerospace electronic products
- At least 7 years of experience designing PCBs, and performing virtual prototyping, using EDA software (Altium experience is strongly preferred)
- Experience with analog, digital and mixed-signal circuit analysis, simulation, design, test, troubleshooting, signal integrity, power, and grounding and general board layout principles
- Desire to work hands-on, both independently and as part of a team, throughout the development and production phases of the electronic assembly product life cycle
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Master of Science in Electrical or Computer Engineering, Physics or related disciplines.
- Experience in design, development, test and operation of spacecraft electronics.
- Experience with rigid, flex, and rigid-flex PCB design and assembly
- Radiation tolerant/hardened and high reliability electronics design experience.
- Experience with mechanical design using CAD software (SolidWorks preferred)
- Experience with design for EMI/EMC and associated qualification testing, including experience with relevant standards such as MIL-STD-461, MIL-STD-464 or equivalents.
- Experience in design for harsh environments and associated qualification testing, including experience with standards such as MIL-STD-810, RTCA/DO-160, or equivalents.
- Deep knowledge of device characteristics relevant to power electronics, such as: MOSFETs, GaNFETs, IGBTs, IGCTs, BJTs, JFETs, diodes, various capacitor families, etc., including both ideal and non-ideal characteristics (parasitic effects, thermal effects, radiation effects, etc.)
- Experience with high-power pulsed power electronics
- Experience with embedded firmware programming (e.g. C, C++, and/or Matlab)
Compensation and Benefits
Altius anticipates a salary of between $90-120k/yr for this position, depending on candidate skills and experience. Benefits that come with this position include medical, dental, and vision benefits for both the candidate and dependents, 401k plan, and an unlimited paid-time-off policy.
If this sounds like the job for you, please send your resume, and if possible a portfolio of some of your past work to email@example.com with "Electrical Engineer III Application" in the subject line.