EPM Applications Engineer
Broomfield, CO 80020
At Altius, our vision is to enable a future where thousands of people live and work in space, tapping the resources of our solar system for the benefit of humanity. As part of the effort to make that vision become reality, Altius is currently developing modular interfaces for satellite servicing, dust tolerant tool changers for planetary and harsh environment robotics, and docking and refueling systems for space tugs and human lunar landers.
A key ingredient in all of these systems is Altius's electropermanent magnet (EPM) technology, which uses high-power pulsed electromagnets to reprogram permanent magnet arrays, creating a solid-state switchable magnet that combines the no-power hold capabilities of permanent magnet halbach arrays with the rapid control of electromagnetic systems. To support a growing number of EPM projects, Altius is expanding its EPM development team, and is seeking an experienced product development engineer to work in a fast-paced team environment on R&D, prototyping, and production of cutting edge EPM-enabled space systems.
Job Description and Duties
We are seeking an experienced product development engineer to support and eventually lead the development of custom EPM systems for aerospace and terrestrial customers. While we don’t expect a candidate to start with past EPM development experience, the goal is for the candidate to grow to a point where they can lead the development of derivative EPM devices with minimal technical support from our EPM Development Lead.
Some specific duties for this job include:
- Gathering and documenting customer requirements, and supporting basic systems engineering for EPM systems
- Supporting the design, manufacturing, and testing of EPM systems, including their drive electronics.
- Help document our EPM development process, including capturing lessons learned
- Learn and improve EPM-related analytical tools, including magnetic FEM simulations
- Supporting the protection of EPM-related intellectual property, including providing technical inputs for patent applications
- Supporting the development, implementation, and improvement of EPM quality assurance and configuration management systems
- Supporting technical recruiting for the EPM team
- Supporting project management for EPM projects
- A technical degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering, Physics, Mechanical Engineering or related disciplines is desired, but can be waived for sufficiently experienced candidates
- Experience developing electronic and/or electromechanical products and bringing them to market in a small-team environment
- Experience designing and/or analyzing systems utilizing magnetic elements (e.g. solenoids, motors, magnetic latches or clutches, etc.).
- Desire to work hands-on, both independently and as part of a team, throughout the development and production phases of the electronic assembly product life cycle
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
In addition to required experience, Altius is also looking for a candidate with the following personal characteristics:
- Highly focused/self-starter, who doesn’t need a lot of supervision once given a task
- Likes solving problems, not just performing tasks
- Loves learning and teaching new technical skills
- Methodical, with a high-attention to details, and good at taking detailed technical notes
- Loves designing and building hardware, but who also knows how to and enjoys communicating with customers and other team members
Desired Skills and Experience
Beyond the required experience and attributes, Altius would also be interested in candidates with experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Previous experience with designing electropermanent magnetic systems
- Full-cycle PCB design, fabrication, and testing experience, including virtual simulation using EDA tools (Altius preferred)
- High-power, high-voltage, and/or pulsed power electronics
- Familiarity with soft and hard magnetic materials and their properties
- Design of magnetic components, and analysis of magnetic circuits, including experience with magnetic/electromagnetic FEM (ANSYS/Maxwell preferred)
- Experience with 3D solid modeling (SolidWorks preferred), including producing manufacturing drawings
- Previous experience with technical/project management
Compensation and Benefits
Altius anticipates a salary of between $70,000-105,000+/yr for this position, depending strongly on the candidate’s skills and experience. Benefits that come with this position include medical, dental, and vision benefits for both the candidate and dependents, 401k plan, and an unlimited paid-time-off policy.
If this sounds like the job for you, please send your resume, and if possible a portfolio of some of your past work to email@example.com with "EPM Application Engineer" in the subject line.