Test Engineer III
Broomfield, CO 80020
Altius a subsidiary of Voyager Space and our vision is to enable a future where thousands of people live and work in space, tapping the resources of our solar system for the benefit of humanity. As part of the effort to make that vision become reality, Altius is currently developing modular interfaces for satellite servicing, dust tolerant tool changers for planetary and harsh environment robotics, and docking and refueling systems for space tugs and human lunar landers.
And a key ingredient in all of these systems is Altius's electro permanent magnet (EPM) technology, which uses high-power pulsed electromagnets to reprogram permanent magnet arrays, creating a solid-state switchable magnet that combines the no-power hold capabilities of permanent magnet Halbach arrays with the rapid control of electromagnetic systems.
We are continuously seeking talented and dynamic individuals to join our team and help us reach our vision.
A Lead Test Engineer will create and implement test and processes for flight-qualification of aerospace hardware based on industry standards. The Lead Test Engineer will also interpret and report results and data utilizing data processing tools.
- Develop and apply testing procedures.
- Develops and produce test reports.
- Devise and maintain quality control and reliability standards for testing hardware.
- Provide technical support to other engineering departments.
- Ensure testing procedures and reports that meet industry standards.
- Ensure accurate record of measurement data.
- Support the design development, implementation, and improvement of engineering projects.
- Writing automated test scripts, design test equipment and execute tests using aerospace standard approaches.
- Perform root cause analyses, system hazard analyses and failure investigations.
- A BS/MS degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering, Physics, Mechanical Engineering, or related disciplines is desired.
- 10 years of experience in aerospace or related fields.
- Ability to interpret engineering fabrication drawings and electrical schematics.
- Mechanical aptitude and ability to utilize hand tools, power tools and heavy equipment.
- Use of precision measuring instruments and attention to detail.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
In addition to required experience, Altius is also looking for a candidate with the following personal characteristics:
- Highly focused/self-starter, who does not need a lot of supervision once given a task
- Likes solving problems, not just performing tasks.
- Loves learning and teaching new technical skills.
- Methodical, with a high attention to details, and good at taking detailed technical notes.
- Loves designing and building hardware, but who also knows how to and enjoys communicating with customers and other team members.
- Desire to work hands-on, both independently and as part of a team, throughout the development and production phases of product life cycles.
- Demonstrated troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
- Possesses comprehensive knowledge of subject matter.
- Ability to read, understand, and use technical manuals and reports.
Desired Skills and Experience
Beyond the required experience and attributes, Altius would also be interested in candidates with experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Development, test, and operation of spacecraft electronics.
- Development and test of spacecraft hardware, including the design and development of test fixtures and supporting hardware.
- Radiation tolerant/hardened and high reliability electronics test experience.
- Understanding or Experience in design for harsh environments and associated qualification testing, including experience with standards such as MIL-STD-810, RTCA/DO-160, or equivalents.
- Experience performing and interpreting analytical test and simulation results.
- Experience executing and interpreting standard aerospace testing including vibration, thermal, and vacuum testing with relevant standards such as GSFC-STD-7000 and equivalents.
- Understanding or experience with EMI/EMC and associated qualification testing, including experience with relevant standards such as MIL-STD-461, MIL-STD-464 or equivalents.
- Experience with mechanical design using CAD software (SolidWorks preferred).
- Experience with analytical methods using FEA tools (Ansys preferred).
Compensation and Benefits
Altius anticipates a salary that is very competitive to market pay rates, depending strongly on the candidate’s skills and experience. Benefits that come with this position include medical, dental, and vision benefits for both the candidate and dependents, 401k and an unlimited paid-time-off policy.
Altius does not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If this sounds like the job for you, please send your resume, and if possible, a portfolio of some of your past work to firstname.lastname@example.org with Lead Test Engineer in the subject line.