Broomfield, CO 80020
At Altius, our vision is to enable a future where thousands of people live and work in space, tapping the resources of our solar system for the benefit of humanity. As part of the effort to make that vision become reality, Altius is currently developing modular interfaces for satellite servicing, dust tolerant tool changers for planetary and harsh environment robotics and docking and refueling systems for space tugs and human lunar landers.
A key ingredient in all these systems is Altius's electropermanent magnet (EPM) technology, which uses high-power pulsed electromagnets to reprogram permanent magnet arrays, creating a solid-state switchable magnet that combines the no-power hold capabilities of permanent magnet Halbach arrays with the rapid control of electromagnetic systems. To support a growing number of EPM projects, Altius is expanding its EPM development team, and is seeking an engineer with experience developing advanced magnetics hardware, to work in a fast-paced team environment on R&D, prototyping, and production of cutting edge EPM-enabled space systems.
We are seeking an experienced R&D engineer to support the development of custom EPM systems for aerospace and terrestrial customers. While due to the niche nature of EPMs, we do not expect a candidate to start with past experience with electropermanent magnets, the goal is for the candidate with enough prior magnetic system design and analysis experience to grow to a point where they can lead the development of at least the magnetic circuit portion of custom EPM devices with minimal technical support from our EPM Development Lead.
- Gathering and documenting customer requirements, and supporting basic systems engineering for EPM systems.
- Supporting the design, magnetics analysis, manufacturing, and testing of EPM systems, especially magnetic circuit elements.
- Help document our EPM development process, including capturing lessons learned.
- Develop and refine EPM-related analytical tools, including magnetic FEM simulations.
- Supporting the protection of EPM-related intellectual property, including providing technical inputs for patent applications.
- Supporting technical recruiting for the EPM team.
- A bachelor’s degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering, Physics, Mechanical Engineering, or related disciplines. A Master’s degree or PhD in a relevant field, especially with relevant academic or industry research experience in magnetics system is preferred.
- Experience designing, analyzing, prototyping, and testing magnetic components involving magnetic circuits (e.g. EPMs, magnetic work holding chucks, magnetic gears, solenoids, electric motors, magnetic latches or clutches, etc.).
- Experience with magnetic circuit analysis, including both hand calculations and magnetic/electromagnetic FEM (Ansys Maxwell experience preferred).
- Familiarity with soft and hard magnetic materials and their properties.
- Desire to work hands-on, both independently and as part of a team, throughout the development and production phases of the EPM product development life cycle
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
In addition to required experience, Altius is also looking for a candidate with the following personal characteristics:
- Highly focused/self-starter, who does not need a lot of supervision once given a task.
- Likes solving problems, not just performing tasks.
- Loves both researching new technologies and getting their hands dirty building and testing real hardware.
- Loves learning and teaching new technical skills.
- Methodical, with a high attention to details, and good at taking detailed notes.
- Loves designing and building hardware, but who also knows how to and enjoys communicating with customers and other team members.
Desired Skills and Experience
Beyond the required experience and attributes, Altius would also be interested in candidates with experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Previous experience with designing electropermanent magnetic systems
- Full-cycle PCB design, fabrication, and testing experience, including virtual simulation using EDA tools (Altium preferred)
- High-power, high-voltage, and/or pulsed power electronics
- Experience with 3D solid modeling (SolidWorks preferred), including producing. manufacturing drawings using geometric dimensioning and tolerancing.
- Experience with and not just designing but also building and testing prototype hardware involving magnetic elements. Including familiarity with manufacturing processes and challenges of dealing with high strength permanent magnets.
Compensation and Benefits.
Altius anticipates a salary that is very competitive to market pay rates, depending strongly on the candidate’s skills and experience. Benefits that come with this position include medical, dental, and vision benefits for both the candidate and dependents, 401k and an unlimited paid-time-off policy.
Altius does not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If this sounds like the job for you, please send your resume, and if possible, a portfolio of some of your past work to email@example.com with "Magnetics Engineer" in the subject line.