Mechanical Engineer I
Broomfield, CO 80020
Altius a subsidiary of Voyager Space and our vision is to enable a future where thousands of people live and work in space, tapping the resources of our solar system for the benefit of humanity. As part of the effort to make that vision become reality, Altius is currently developing modular interfaces for satellite servicing, dust tolerant tool changers for planetary and harsh environment robotics, and docking and refueling systems for space tugs and human lunar landers.
And a key ingredient in all of these systems is Altius's electro permanent magnet (EPM) technology, which uses high-power pulsed electromagnets to reprogram permanent magnet arrays, creating a solid-state switchable magnet that combines the no-power hold capabilities of permanent magnet Halbach arrays with the rapid control of electromagnetic systems.
We are continuously seeking talented and dynamic individuals to join our team and help us reach our vision.
Applies engineering techniques to design, install, modify, analyze, repair and test tools, machines, and other mechanically functioning equipment.
- Executes planned tasks on projects including detail design tasks, technical evaluation of subcontractor or vendor hardware, reporting budget and schedule performance on assigned tasks and stats using Engineering Management and cognizant design engineers.
- Provides design or technical support to the management staff and other functional groups as directed by management, or the cognizant design engineer, assists the Technical Manager, or cognizant engineer, in the support of the Prime Contractor, including the preparation of proposals, change requests, design reviews and other requirements related to the design effort.
- Technical responsibilities include requirement allocation, interface definition, performance analysis, and risk mitigation from concept development through hardware delivery of various hardware.
- Modify existing mechanical parts using hand and machine tools.
- Be able to identify faulty parts during the assembly process.
- Perform standard manufacturing procedures, rework, and repair on manufactured equipment and products.
- A BS/MS degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering, Physics, Mechanical Engineering, or related disciplines is desired.
- 1 year of experience in aerospace or related fields (internship and collegiate extracurricular engineering project experience qualifies).
- Ability to interpret engineering fabrication drawings and electrical schematics.
- Mechanical aptitude and ability to utilize hand tools, power tools and heavy equipment.
- Use of precision measuring instruments and attention to detail.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
In addition to required experience, Altius is also looking for a candidate with the following personal characteristics:
- Highly focused/self-starter, who does not need a lot of supervision once given a task.
- Likes solving problems, not just performing tasks.
- Loves learning and teaching new technical skills.
- Methodical, with a high attention to details, and good at taking detailed technical notes.
- Loves designing and building hardware, but who also knows how to and enjoys communicating with customers and other team members.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Must have experience performing light mechanical assembly.
- Ability to read and work to engineering documentation.
- Excellent manual dexterity, ability to handle small parts.
- Possess strong problem solving and communication abilities.
- Familiarity with small tools used for hand-held assembly.
- High standard of workmanship is a must.
Compensation and Benefits
Altius anticipates a salary that is very competitive to market pay rates, depending strongly on the candidate’s skills and experience. Benefits that come with this position include medical, dental, and vision benefits for both the candidate and dependents, 401k and an unlimited paid-time-off policy.
Altius does not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If this sounds like the job for you, please send your resume, and if possible, a portfolio of some of your past work to firstname.lastname@example.org with Mechanical Engineer I in the subject line.