Mechanical Engineer II
Broomfield, CO 80020
Altius a subsidiary of Voyager Space and our vision is to enable a future where thousands of people live and work in space, tapping the resources of our solar system for the benefit of humanity. As part of the effort to make that vision become reality, Altius is currently developing modular interfaces for satellite servicing, dust tolerant tool changers for planetary and harsh environment robotics, and docking and refueling systems for space tugs and human lunar landers.
And a key ingredient in all of these systems is Altius's electro permanent magnet (EPM) technology, which uses high-power pulsed electromagnets to reprogram permanent magnet arrays, creating a solid-state switchable magnet that combines the no-power hold capabilities of permanent magnet Halbach arrays with the rapid control of electromagnetic systems.
We are continuously seeking talented and dynamic individuals to join our team and help us reach our vision.
We are seeking an experienced, high caliber Mechanical Engineer II to use multidisciplinary engineering knowledge to lead and contribute to a team designing and developing innovative mechanical and electro-mechanical medical devices or components/subsystems in support of company projects. Will be expected to apply analytical and practical engineering principles in analyzing mechanical systems, overseeing the designing and running of tests, improving or fixing product features, and documenting findings.
- Designs, develops, and tests all aspects of mechanical components, equipment, and machinery. Recommends appropriate technologies based on trade studies and experimentation. Defines test and certification requirements and evaluates results to determine specification compliance.
- Applies knowledge of Engineering principles to design products such as engines, instruments, controls, robots, machines, etc.
- Conducts product testing and creates models and prototypes.
- May be involved in fabrication, operation, application, installation, and/or repair of mechanical product.
- Assists the manager, or cognizant engineer, in the support of the Prime Contractor, including preparation of proposals, change requests, design reviews and other requirements related to the design effort.
- A BS/MS degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering, Physics, Mechanical Engineering, or related disciplines is desired.
- 5 years of experience in aerospace or related fields.
- Ability to interpret engineering fabrication drawings and electrical schematics.
- Mechanical aptitude and ability to utilize hand tools, power tools and heavy equipment.
- Use of precision measuring instruments and attention to detail.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
In addition to required experience, Altius is also looking for a candidate with the following personal characteristics:
- Highly focused/self-starter, who does not need a lot of supervision once given a task.
- Likes solving problems, not just performing tasks.
- Loves learning and teaching new technical skills.
- Methodical, with a high attention to details, and good at taking detailed technical notes.
- Loves designing and building hardware, but who also knows how to and enjoys communicating with customers and other team members.
Desired Skills and Experience
Beyond the required experience and attributes, Altius would also be interested in candidates with experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Must have experience performing light mechanical assembly.
- Ability to read and work to engineering documentation.
- Excellent manual dexterity, ability to handle small parts.
- Experience with rigid, flex, and rigid-flex PCB design and assembly.
- Experience with mechanical design using CAD software (SolidWorks preferred).
- Experience applying and interpreting Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) per ASME Y14.5.
- Knowledge of industry-standard mechanical design principles, to include, but not limited to parametric design, model-based definition, material hardware selection, manufacturing, and production processes.
Compensation and Benefits
Altius anticipates a salary that is very competitive to market pay rates, depending strongly on the candidate’s skills and experience. Benefits that come with this position include medical, dental, and vision benefits for both the candidate and dependents, 401k and an unlimited paid-time-off policy.
Altius does not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If this sounds like the job for you, please send your resume, and if possible, a portfolio of some of your past work to firstname.lastname@example.org with Mechanical Engineer II in the subject line.