Systems Engineer II
Broomfield, CO 80020
Altius a subsidiary of Voyager Space and our vision is to enable a future where thousands of people live and work in space, tapping the resources of our solar system for the benefit of humanity. As part of the effort to make that vision become reality, Altius is currently developing modular interfaces for satellite servicing, dust tolerant tool changers for planetary and harsh environment robotics, and docking and refueling systems for space tugs and human lunar landers.
And a key ingredient in all of these systems is Altius's electro permanent magnet (EPM) technology, which uses high-power pulsed electromagnets to reprogram permanent magnet arrays, creating a solid-state switchable magnet that combines the no-power hold capabilities of permanent magnet Halbach arrays with the rapid control of electromagnetic systems.
We are continuously seeking talented and dynamic individuals to join our team and help us reach our vision.
Responsible for the overall systems infrastructure including engineering, implementation and integration, and technical services and support.
- Designs, implements, installs, maintains, and administers infrastructures including hardware, software, and various configurations. Monitors overall performance to proactively identify potential issues and tune appropriately.
- Eliciting customer needs and translating those into overall system requirements.
- Decomposing and allocation requirements to lower levels.
- Functional analysis and allocation
- Definition of the functional and physical system architecture
- Definition and management of system interfaces, both internal and external
- Trade studies
- System-level performance analysis using physics-based models of appropriate fidelity.
- Root cause analysis
- Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA), Hazard Analysis, etc
- Development of Integration, Verification and Validation plans
- Technical Risk Management
- Analyses are performed at all levels of total system product to include concept, design, fabrication, test, installation, operation, maintenance, and disposal.
- Performs functional analysis, timeline analysis, detail trade studies, requirements allocation and interface definition studies to translate customer requirements into hardware and software specifications.
- Support the development, revision, and update of project-specific systems engineering documents such as Information Support Plan, Systems Engineering Management Plan (SEMP), Test and Evaluation Plan, and Systems Performance Specifications
- Support the development of standardized company technical plans and processes such as requirements management, functional and behavioral analysis management, interface definition and control management, and verification & validation management.
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or Computer Engineering, Physics, Mechanical Engineering, Systems Engineering or related disciplines is desired.
- 5 years of experience in aerospace or related fields.
- Experience with Systems Engineering execution.
- Desire to work hands-on, both independently and as part of a team, throughout the development and production phases of the electronic assembly product life cycle.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
In addition to required experience, Altius is also looking for a candidate with the following personal characteristics:
- Highly focused/self-starter, who does not need a lot of supervision once given a task.
- Likes solving problems, not just performing tasks.
- Loves learning and teaching new technical skills.
- Methodical, with a high attention to details, and good at taking detailed technical notes.
- Loves designing and building hardware, but who also knows how to and enjoys communicating with customers and other team members.
Desired Skills and Experience
Beyond the required experience and attributes, Altius would also be interested in candidates with experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills.
- Previous experience with Model-Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) and the Systems Modeling Language (SysML).
- Familiarity with MBSE tools such as Cameo Systems Modeler, IBM Rapsody, or equivalent.
- Familiarity with requirements management tools such as DOORS, Jama, or equivalent.
- Associate Systems Engineering Professional (ASEP) or Certified Systems Engineering Professional (CSEP) from INCOSE
- OMG Certified Systems Modeling Professional (OCSMP) – Model User or higher.
- Ability to coordinate activities of a diverse team, predict and meet schedules, resolve disconnects.
- Ability to read and work to engineering documentation.
- Experience with mechanical design using CAD software (SolidWorks preferred).
- Experience applying and interpreting Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) per ASME Y14.5.
- Knowledge of industry-standard mechanical design principles, to include, but not limited to parametric design, model-based definition, material hardware selection, manufacturing, and production processes.
- Practical knowledge of engineering principles and practices.
Compensation and Benefits
Altius anticipates a salary that is very competitive to market pay rates, depending strongly on the candidate’s skills and experience. Benefits that come with this position include medical, dental, and vision benefits for both the candidate and dependents, 401k and an unlimited paid-time-off policy.
Altius does not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If this sounds like the job for you, please send your resume, and if possible, a portfolio of some of your past work to firstname.lastname@example.org with Systems Engineer II in the subject line.