Systems Engineer III
Broomfield, CO 80020
Altius a subsidiary of Voyager Space and our vision is to enable a future where thousands of people live and work in space, tapping the resources of our solar system for the benefit of humanity. As part of the effort to make that vision become reality, Altius is currently developing modular interfaces for satellite servicing, dust tolerant tool changers for planetary and harsh environment robotics, and docking and refueling systems for space tugs and human lunar landers.
And a key ingredient in all of these systems is Altius's electro permanent magnet (EPM) technology, which uses high-power pulsed electromagnets to reprogram permanent magnet arrays, creating a solid-state switchable magnet that combines the no-power hold capabilities of permanent magnet Halbach arrays with the rapid control of electromagnetic systems.
We are continuously seeking talented and dynamic individuals to join our team and help us reach our vision.
Responsible for the overall systems infrastructure including engineering, implementation and integration, and technical services and support
- Designs, implements, installs, maintains, and administers infrastructures including hardware, software, and various configurations. Monitors overall performance to proactively identify potential issues and tune appropriately.
- Eliciting customer needs and translating those into overall system requirements.
- Decomposing and allocation requirements to lower levels.
- Functional analysis and allocation
- Definition of the functional and physical system architecture
- Definition and management of system interfaces, both internal and external
- Trade studies
- System-level performance analysis using physics-based models of appropriate fidelity.
- Root cause analysis
- Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA), Hazard Analysis, etc
- Development of Integration, Verification and Validation plans
- Technical Risk Management
- Support the development, revision, and update of project-specific systems engineering documents such as Information Support Plan, Systems Engineering Management Plan (SEMP), Test and Evaluation Plan, and Systems Performance Specifications.
- Support the development of standardized company technical plans and processes such as requirements management, functional and behavioral analysis management, interface definition and control management, and verification & validation management.
- Performs functional analysis, timeline analysis, detail trade studies, requirements allocation and interface definition studies to translate customer requirements into hardware and software specifications.
- Support the development, revision, and update of systems engineering documents such as Information Support Plan, Systems Engineering Plan, Test and Evaluation Plan, and Systems Performance Specifications.
- Support technical interface and coordination with stakeholders on all processes involved in Systems Engineering. System engineering tasks include requirements definition, functional analysis, trade studies, design synthesis, configuration management, verification and validation, and cost, risk, and logistic analyses.
- Support the development, revision, and update of systems engineering documents.
- Provides input to technical oversight of research, development, design, and integration efforts.
- A BS/MS degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering, Physics, Mechanical Engineering, Systems Engineering or related disciplines is desired
- 10 years of systems engineering and technical support experiences.
- Experience with systems engineering including, but not limited to, interpretation of systems. requirements, design development, test and evaluation, validation, and verification.
- Development and preparation of systems engineering documents.
- 10 years of experience in aerospace or related field.
- Desire to work hands-on, both independently and as part of a team, throughout the development and production phases of the Projects.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
In addition to required experience, Altius is also looking for a candidate with the following personal characteristics:
- Highly focused/self-starter, who does not need a lot of supervision once given a task.
- Likes solving problems, not just performing tasks.
- Loves learning and teaching new technical skills.
- Methodical, with a high attention to details, and good at taking detailed technical notes.
- Loves designing and building hardware, but who also knows how to and enjoys communicating with customers and other team members.
Desired Skills and Experience
Beyond the required experience and attributes, Altius would also be interested in candidates with experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Previous experience with Model-Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) and the Systems Modeling Language (SysML).
- Familiarity with MBSE tools such as Cameo Systems Modeler, IBM Rapsody, or equivalent.
- Familiarity with requirements management tools such as DOORS, Jama, or equivalent.
- Associate Systems Engineering Professional (ASEP) or Certified Systems Engineering Professional (CSEP) from INCOSE
- OMG Certified Systems Modeling Professional (OCSMP) – Model User or higher.
- Excellent MS Office skills to include, but not limited to MS Word, MS Excel, and MS PowerPoint.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Handles complex issues and problems.
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills.
- Ability to coordinate activities of a diverse team, predict and meet schedules, resolve disconnects.
- Provides leadership, coaching, and/or mentoring to a subordinate group.
Compensation and Benefits
Altius anticipates a salary that is very competitive to market pay rates, depending strongly on the candidate’s skills and experience. Benefits that come with this position include medical, dental, and vision benefits for both the candidate and dependents, 401k plan and an unlimited paid-time-off policy.
Altius does not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If this sounds like the job for you, please send your resume, and if possible, a portfolio of some of your past work to firstname.lastname@example.org with Systems Engineer III in the subject line.